Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Damien Hirst's Sadistic Art?




So to start off, I read this...:
I am gay and married to an incredible man. We just adopted a six year old girl. Today, a woman called us a disgrace. Our daughter bravely looked at the woman, and said, "Nuh-uh! My daddies are the best ever, and there isn't anything wrong with them!"

It was on a GMH (Gives Me Hope) status on Facebook. This is unbelievably wonderful. :) Brings a smile to me.
And also, Damien Hirst. Heard of him? Well he's this artist who likes to put dead animals in formaldehyde, give it a name, and then sell it for millions. Now, how is that ART?
I mean, he does sculptures, and canvas paintings, but come on, animals in formaldehyde? Sorry man, I don't agree.
True, his other works, such as a diamond-covered skull, is interesting enough to be modern art (though like others, I think modern art has gone a bit out of hand as far as simplicity and dullness goes), but the animals+formaldehyde thing just got me thinking... "Man, I don't like this..."
Some have even considered Hirst as a sadist, including PETA. If you'd like to read an interesting article, go here.
However, Hirst has said something I found rather interesting-- grisly as it is. He was talking about 9/11, a day before the one-year anniversary, and as quoted, he said,
"The thing about 9/11 is that it's kind of like an artwork in its own right. It was wicked, but it was devised in this way for this kind of impact. It was devised visually... You've got to hand it to them on some level because they've achieved something which nobody would have ever have thought possible, especially to a country as big as America. So on one level they kind of need congratulating, which a lot of people shy away from, which is a very dangerous thing."

After outrageous uproar, he replied,
"I apologise unreservedly for any upset I have caused, particularly to the families of the victims of the events on that terrible day."

The outrage had to have come from the anger that what the people heard was true-- that it was an incredible thing for those terrorists to have done, getting into the US and ramming that tower. But the people who lost loved ones and friends in that crash had a reason to dislike that claim made by Hirst-- had it happened to me, I would've disliked him as well. But not being a victim, all I have to say that I find the quote interesting and deep in a way that people are afraid to listen to it.
Please don't say that I agree with this. I don't fully agree with Hirst's statement, but he has a point on an aspect of it.

Over and Out

No comments:

Post a Comment